A Leading-Edge Vision of a Trauma-Integrating World
Trauma is not just a personal experience. It is always embedded in a much wider chain of events and history. Examining our collective trauma is the way to tap into the evolutionary intelligence of humanity. – Thomas Hübl
The third annual Collective Trauma Summit was held from September 19-28. Over 100,000 people from 120 countries gathered to create a collective healing container for humanity as we build awareness about collective trauma so that we can work toward a larger vision of creating trauma-integrating societies.
Some of the topics that were explored during the Summit included:
- A deep dive into the emerging collective trauma issues of our time including racism, the environment and climate change, global health care/pandemic crisis, war and conflict legacies, and intergenerational trauma
- How individual, ancestral, and collective trauma are interdependent and why all need to be addressed for true healing
- How our individual nervous system is a part of the collective nervous system rather than separate and how we need to care for both
- How to go from a state of overwhelm, fear and anxiety toward building resilience and internal coherence capacities
- How to go beyond being trauma-informed and trauma-sensitive to move toward a society that is trauma-integrating
- The power of facilitated group work to hold space for witnessing, working with, and transforming collective trauma
An Unprecedented Moment of Opportunity
As we become more aware of collective trauma, we are seeing the devastating impact that it can have on individuals, families and society. For the first time in human history, through a growing base of practitioners and because of the use of technology, we have the potential to work with collective trauma in large groups and even across borders. This is an unprecedented moment and opportunity for all of us to look at what has been hidden for years.
An Inspiring Group of Diverse Speakers
The Summit speakers included an extraordinary cross-disciplinary lineup featuring pioneering psychotherapists, researchers, and trauma healing educators; Indigenous leaders; human rights and social justice activists; acclaimed poets and authors; climate scientists; visionary thinkers and luminaries; and experts in public health, medicine, and neuroscience.
Evolution at Work in the Encounters with Speakers
Of the eight hosts, Thomas conducted 23 of the talks, and remarked:
“My experience was, in many conversations that I had with different speakers, something new came out of our meeting that was unique at that moment. A space of emergence opened up, which means there was a certain element of not-knowing that we dared to allow, even if we spoke from competent places and with a lot of background knowledge.” – Thomas Hübl
This year’s Summit featured 45+ speaker talks, 9 poet conversations, plus musical performances, and live events.
For the first time we also included 8 Integration Practices and ten Daily Insight Videos from Thomas to support participants in digesting and integrating all the information presented throughout the 10 days of the Summit.
We were honored to include in this year’s Summit some of the world’s leading collective trauma experts and luminaries including:
• Dr. Gabor Maté – International Bestselling Author, World-Renowned Speaker, Physician
• Dr. Fania Davis – Founder, Restorative Justice for Oakland Youth, Social Justice Activist, Author, Speaker
• Esther Perel, MA, LMFT – Psychotherapist, Speaker, Author
• Jack Saul, PhD – Licensed Psychologist, Director, Author
• Deran Young – Founder, Executive Director, Black Therapists Rock
• Dr. Richard Schwartz – Founder of Internal Family Systems Model
• Krista Tippett – On Being Founder/CEO, Author, Speaker
• Jack Kornfield, PhD – Author, Buddhist practitioner, and Spirit Rock Meditation Center founding teacher
• Dr. Sará King – Neuroscientist, Political and Learning Scientist, Speaker, and Founder of MindHeart Consulting
• Stephen Porges, PhD – Distinguished University Scientist, Traumatic Stress Research Consortium Founding Director, Professor of Psychiatry
• Deb Dana, LCSW – Author, Consultant, Developer of the Rhythm of Regulation Training Series
• Dr. Eduardo Duran – Clinical Psychologist
• Dr. Kamilah Majied – Professor, Psychotherapist, and Contemplative Inclusivity and Equity Consultant
• Dr. Diane Poole Heller – Speaker, author, and expert in the field of attachment theory and trauma resolution
• Dr. Dan Siegel – Executive Director, Mindsight Institute
• Laura van Dernoot Lipsky – Founder and director of The Trauma Stewardship Institute
• Otto Scharmer – Senior Lecturer, MIT Sloan School of Management/ Co-Founder, Presencing Institute
• Sherri Mitchell Weh’na Ha’mu Kwasset – Attorney, Author, and Founder of the Land Peace Foundation
• Leymah Gbowee – Nobel Laureate & Liberian Peace Activist
• Pádraig Ó Tuama – Poet and Theologian, and host of Poetry Unbound from On Being Studios
Opening a Dialogue
This Summit has opened a dialogue on the most pressing issues of our time, including social justice, climate change, the global health crisis, war and conflict legacies, intergenerational trauma, and more.
Moving forward, it will become even more critical for individuals and our society to find ways to heal Collective Trauma for individuals, groups, and for the greater protection of our planet.
“I see us already in a collective healing movement. Almost a quarter million people signed up through the last three summits, many people have felt touched, and through the conversations are starting to relate to collective trauma in a deeper way.” – Thomas Hübl
Our vision is to continue the conversation and focus on what we can do to recognize, prevent, and work with collective trauma.
What Participants are Saying about the Summit:
“This is the most important and relevant program I have ever seen on the internet (or anywhere else) that speaks to the child’s wounded heart in me. I can’t thank you enough for all the work that has been done to put this into an available public format, and for all the wonderful people who speak here with so much heart and truth.”
“Thank you for creating this event, with so many incredible human beings sharing such wisdom and compassion, and deep insights into the human condition.”
“I have attended many online summits this past COVID year. The way you have set yours up, the schedule, the place for poetry, the speakers and the info about them, and the graphics for the entire series is absolutely magnificent. Thank you for your dedication.”
“Very beautiful. I was very moved by the poems and music.”
“I find this group to be curious, inspirational, authentic and informative and I really like the forum. I have “fallen behind” and purchased the package so I can watch a few key talks I have missed and to take the pressure off when I am feeling overwhelmed.”
The Collective Healing in Action Upgrade Package is now available for purchase. The collection includes downloadable video, audio, and transcript access to 45+ expert talks, 30 speaker bonuses, PLUS a special 6-module course with Thomas.
These recordings and bonus materials can be beneficial for health professionals, organizational leaders, therapists, as well as anyone wanting to understand this topic deeply for personal reasons.Watch the 6 Free Highlight Videos and Purchase Now